We are so excited, this year marks our tenth annual Backpack Stowe Adventure! This amazing trip is always a summer highlight, and it's sure to be a blast this year too! Participants in this trip will have tons of fun as we circumnavigate Mt. Mansfield, Vermont's highest peak, from our base camp at beautiful Underhill State Park.
This is a very challenging, but fun, and rewarding adventure. The feeling of accomplishment is incredible at the end of the trip, when kids look back on all we did.
We will be camping in lean-tos on this trip, no tents needed, but campers are required to provide some of their own camping gear (see list below). Campers also need to have some previous hiking and/or camping experience.
In addition to the below, campers need a well fitting backpack, with a waist strap, large enough to carry all their personal gear.
All our overnight trips feature three action-packed days, plus two fun nights of camping in Vermont State Parks. These trips build confidence, instill lasting memories, and forge lifelong friendships. While they are all physically demanding, they are great first experiences away from home. For all overnight trips, campers must be at least 8 years old.
Stowe Backpack Trip: July 26 - 28, 2022
Please to join the waiting list.
Back again for its seventh summer, the mountain bike trip is one of our most popular trips! We will embark on a three day, two night trip in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom (NEK), camping at the gorgeous Brighton State Park, and exploring the award-winning Kingdom Trails. The park has wooded campsites with sturdy lean-tos, and a large lake for swimming. Nearby, Kingdom Triails is one of Vermont's most popular mountain bike destinations for riders of all abilities. We will spend our days cruising the trails, from green circles to black diamonds, and enjoy our evenings with the comfort of a camp fire and a few s'mores.
Learning and practicing mountain biking skills will be a big part of this trip, but participants need some previous mountain biking experience.
In addition to the below, campers need to bring their own mountain bike and helmet. Please make sure your bike is in good working order so we don't miss any time on the trails!
NEK Mountain Bike Trip: August 16 - 18, 2022
We are looking forward to another awesome Hike/Bike/Stand Up Paddle Board Adventure this summer! This trip has been a huge hit the past three years for campers who love doing lots of different activities in the great outdoors.
We will spend the first day of our time together cruising around Stowe's beautiful mountian bike trails, and spend the evening toasting s'mores by the camp fire.
The second day of our trip we will embark on a hike in the Mt. Mansfield Region and camp at Underhill State Park.
And on the final day, we will drive to one of Northern Vermont's pristine lakes for a day of swimming and stand up paddle boarding. What could be better than combining all three of these fun activities into one awesome Rugged Adventure?
In addition to the below, campers need to bring their own mountain bike and helmet, and a backpack large enough to carry their personal gear for the backpack portion.
Hike/Bike/SUP Trip: August 9 - 11, 2022
Logistics for All Overnights
- Campers must be at least 8 years old. We don't have a maximum age, but our oldest overnight campers are usually around 13.
- Drop-off and pick-up at Mt. Mansfield
Academy, Academic Campus (66 Academy
- Drop-off at 9 AM on Tuesday morning
- Pick-up at 4 PM on Thursday afternoon
- All food is included, but campers may bring
their own snacks if they are so inclined.
- Trip participants may add day camp for
Monday and Friday for an additional $179.
Packing List for All Overnights
- Camelbak type day pack to carry water/snacks. Must fit comfortably and have room for food. Required for all trips, including backpack trip.
- Sleeping bag.
- Sleeping pad.
- Pillow. Optional. For backpacking trip, bring only lightweight inflatables. Standard pillows are fine for other trips.
- Shoes. Sneakers are generally ok. Waterproof boots are great for the backpack trip. Shoes must fit well and be well broken in.
- Day time clothes. T-shirt and shorts are usually fine.
- Warm clothes for nights. Sweatshirt and sweatpants. Nights can be very cold!
- Comfortable camp shoes for nights. Flip-flops, Crocs, or similar.
- Clean socks and underwear for each day.
- Bathing suit and towel (not needed for backpack).
- Small plastic plate or bowl and a sturdy fork.
- Flashlight or headlamp.
- Sunscreen and Bug Spray.
- Toiletries (travel-size).
- Rain gear.
- Hats (winter and summer). Again, nights are cold!
- Book/Journal. Optional.
- PLEASE NO ELECTRONICS, INCLUDING PHONES!